Thursday, 4 February 2016

Thursday, 4 February 2016

Changes to Social Security rules from January 2016


From January 2016, all permanent residents, (those who have lived in France for 3 months or more), can apply for a Carte Vitale. This includes both EU and non-EU citizens.

A new system, the ‘Protection Universelle Maladie’ simplifies health insurance for foreigners living in France.

It does not matter if you are unemployed, retired or pre retired, the PUM guarantees your right to reimbursement of around 70% of all your health costs. The other 30% will be covered by most top-up or “complémentaire” insurance schemes.

Last year, the EU Commission stated that France was breaching EU rules (a bit like it does with Social Charges on CGT), by making “early retirees” moving to France complete a process of five years residence before allowing them to become part of the French health system.

The new legislation came into effect on 1 January 2016 - essentially simplifying the whole process - if you are a bona fide resident e.g. proof of your tax returns, income, bills etc.

If you are not working and therefore not paying and social security contributions if France, your quarterly contributions will be assessed and set according to any income you have over 9,611 € pa (for 2016).

If you are in receipt of a UK State pension - you will be issued with an S1 which will negate the need for any contributions.


Image: Peggy_Marco @ pixabay

Filed Under: , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment